BlueRetirement: Answers to frequently asked questions.
Your BlueRetirement through Empower.
Your contributions, JetBlue’s match and Retirement Plus.
Loans and hardship withdrawals.
Your BlueRetirement through Empower.
Q:What is BlueRetirement?
AThink of the dedicated BlueCarpet experience you’ve come to expect with your JetBlue wellness benefits. In much the same way, BlueRetirement will help you arrive at your future with even more in service and delivery, wherever your destination may be. Whether you’re just kicking off your savings or headed toward retirement, think of BlueRetirement as dedicated support to help you make the most of your Plan.
Q:Who is Empower?
AEmpower is helping 8 million+ people save for retirement. Administering more than $400 billion in plan assets, they are the second-largest 401(k) record-keeper with 34,000 plans/clients, including Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest Airlines, the New York Jets, Barclays, the City of New York and the Greater Aviation Authority of Orlando. Empower’s suite of retirement services and innovative financial tools make them well-positioned to help you manage your retirement savings for financial success.
Q:What information has been transferred from T. Rowe Price to Empower and how is my data protected?
AThe following data has been provided to Empower by T. Rowe Price:
- Preferred email address
- Account balance
- Auto increase election
- Fund balance
- Contribution election
- Fund allocation information
- Loan information
- Marital status*
*Marital status has transferred from T. Rowe Price, however, if you don’t have a marital status on file, your record will default to “married.” You can update this through Empower at any time.
The item below has been provided to Empower by JetBlue:
Data transmissions between T. Rowe Price and Empower are performed securely using industry standard encryption methods. Transmissions are performed in accordance with Empower’s Information Security Policy (ISP) and applicable regulatory compliance laws.
Q:How do I access BlueRetirement through Empower?
- Click REGISTER
- Select the I do not have a PIN tab.
- Enter your Social Security number, ZIP/postal code, last name, date of birth, and numeric portion of your permanent street address (without dashes or special characters as this will prevent registration) or P.O. Box and click Continue. Any combination of the number groupings, in order, in your street address will work. For example, if you live at 1234-56 78th Street, you can enter any of the following: 1234; 56; 78; 123456; or 12345678.
Tips: If you receive an error during login, you may be inputting an incorrect address. Log on to BlueCrew Self Service (BCSS) to review your permanent address which may differ from your mailing address. Then, try registering your account again using your permanent address as it is listed. If you need to update your permanent address in BCSS, please allow 7 – 10 business days for this information to transfer to Empower.
Please be advised that after three unsuccessful attempts to register, you will be locked out for 24 hours. If this happens, you don’t need to wait the full 24 hours. You can call an Empower associate to receive a temporary PIN which will help you complete registration. If you have any issues registering your account, please contact Empower at 1-844-728-3258 (8 a.m. – 10 p.m. ET, Monday – Friday).
- You will be asked to provide an email address or telephone number for future verification. You will also need to create a username and password. Click Register.
While the email address allows hyphens, dashes and special characters, the phone number field allows only numbers; you cannot enter alpha or special characters in the phone number field.
- On your future logins, choose SIGN IN. You may be requested to receive a verification code for enhanced security. Codes may be emailed or texted to the contact information on record that you provided at registration. While it is helpful to save your device for future logins, it is not recommended to do this when you are working on a public device.
Q:What if I already have an account through Empower from a previous employer?
AFirst, contact Empower at 1-844-728-3258. When prompted, enter your Social Security number, then hit “0” to be transferred to an associate. They will assign a temporary PIN that will allow you to complete the registration process and access your account.
Then, log on to blueretirement.com and follow these steps:
- Click the Register button.
- Click on the I have a PIN tab.
- Enter your Social Security number and temporary PIN.
- Complete registration by creating a username and password. Click Register.
When you register for online access to your JetBlue account, you will only see your account related to your JetBlue relationship. If you want to view an account from a former employer, you will need to log out of your JetBlue account and log into your other account with those other credentials.
Q:How can I view my account history?
AYou can view your account history following the transition to Empower at blueretirement.com. Click your Plan name and then select Transaction History under ACCOUNT INFORMATION. You also can access your prior account history at T. Rowe Price for approximately six months after the transfer, estimated to be February 2018.
Q:How do I avoid authenticating my computer/device each time I log in?
AUpon initial registration of your account, you are prompted to enter a username and password. You will then request to have a verification code sent to the email address or phone number on file with Empower. On the next screen, you will be prompted to enter the verification code. You must also select Remember this device and then click SIGN IN.
When you select Remember this device, a cookie is stored on the computer or device you used so you do not have to go through the additional verification code process when logging in with the same device and browser in the future. If you delete your browser history or cookies, you will have to repeat the full identification/verification process. In addition, if you have set your browser to clear the browser history upon exit, you will have to request a new verification code each time you log in. It is not recommended to remember a device if you are using a public device.
Q:How do I update or add my beneficiary?
ANow is a good time to confirm your beneficiary designation. Remember to review your beneficiaries following a major life event such as a marriage, arrival of a new baby or a divorce. To update or name your beneficiary:
- Log on to blueretirement.com.
- Choose your Plan name.
- Select Beneficiaries.
Q:What do I do if I have a major life event?
AIf you get married, get divorced, have a child, or experience a death in the family, you will want to review and update your beneficiary information at blueretirement.com.
Here are additional resources to help you determine next steps and make changes:
- Speak to an Empower associate at 1-844-728-3258
- Visit blueretirement.com and click the Me & My Money tab
- Contact BlueBenefits at 1-800-466-5062 or BlueBenefits@jetblue.com
Q: How long can I continue to access my T. Rowe Price account online?
AYou will continue to have access to your account history at T. Rowe Price for approximately six months after the transfer. You will not have the ability to request transactions through T. Rowe Price. All requests should be made through Empower.
Q:What can I expect with my 1099-R form?
A1099-R forms are only generated when a Crewmember incurs a taxable event, such as a withdrawal, distribution or defaulting on a loan. The 1099-R is issued by the Recordkeeper at the time of the event and is usually mailed in January of the following tax year. If a Crewmember’s taxable event occurred before the move to Empower, the 1099-R will be sent by T. Rowe Price. If the taxable event occurs after the transition, the 1099-R will be sent by Empower.
Your contributions, JetBlue’s Match and Retirement Plus.
Q: How does the JetBlue Company match work?
AJetBlue matches your contributions dollar-for-dollar, up to 5% of eligible compensation. This match is contributed to your Empower account each pay period. Match contributions are received on Traditional (pre-tax), Roth (post-tax), and/or catch-up contributions.
Q:How do I change my contribution election?
AThere are two ways you can change your contribution election―online or by phone.
To make a change online, visit blueretirement.com:
- Use the sliders on the landing page to select your new Traditional (pre-tax) and/or Roth (post-tax) contribution percentage(s). Be sure to click Review Change. On the pop-up screen, click Submit your change(s) to confirm your election(s).
- You also can click the JetBlue Retirement Plan name and then select My contributions under PAYCHECK CONTRIBUTIONS on the left side of the screen. Click Add/Edit next to each contribution type―pre-tax and/or Roth―you want to change. Click Continue on the next two screens and then click Confirm & Continue.
To make a change by phone, call Empower at 1-844-728-3258, 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday to speak with an associate.
Q:How often am I able to change my contribution amount?
AYou can change your contribution amount as often as you would like, but keep in mind it may take up to two pay periods for your change to take effect. Election changes are transmitted to JetBlue on a weekly basis. Therefore, the election on file at JetBlue at the time payroll is finalized for the pay period is the one used for your 401(k) contribution.
Q:How long will it take for my contribution changes to be effective with Empower?
AIf you make a contribution change online or over the phone, it may take up to two pay periods to take effect. Pay period schedules for Crewmembers and Pilots are as follows:
- Hourly Crewmembers: Weekly
- Salaried Crewmembers: Semi-monthly on the 5th and 20th of each month
- Pilots: Semi-monthly on the 8th and 20th of each month
- Inflight: Semi-monthly on the 8th and 20th of each month
Q: Can I defer Profit Sharing contributions?
AYes. If eligible for JetBlue Profit Sharing, Crewmembers may elect to defer up to 75% of distributions into their plan. This adds up to additional retirement savings.
Q:What is a true-up contribution?
AAt the end of each year, JetBlue reviews your contributions to the Plan and the Company match you actually received. If you did not receive the full Company match and you qualify for an additional match according to the Plan’s Company match formula and eligibility criteria, JetBlue makes a match true-up contribution to your account following the end of the plan year.
Investments and self-directed brokerage
Q:Which investments are available with BlueRetirement?
AYou have access to a wide variety of investment choices. We work closely with Mercer (independent investment consultants) and the Plan Trustees (who are authorized to make decisions on the Plan and its investments) to compare the performance, fees and overall structure of each asset class offered through Empower. The Trustees look to find funds that are aimed to simplify your options while improving your outcomes—all at competitive fees. Access your account at blueretirement.com to view the current investment lineup and any fees associated with those funds.
Q:What do I need to know about my new self-directed brokerage account through Charles Schwab?
AThere is a self-directed brokerage account option available through Charles Schwab Personal Choice® Retirement Account (PCRA). While Schwab offers a wide range of brokerage investment options, investments in securities that generate Unrelated Business Taxable Income (UBTI) are not available for purchase at Schwab. These types of securities include master limited partnerships (MLPs), commodity exchange-traded funds (ETFs) and other securities that meet the IRS requirements for partnership taxation.
If you currently hold a security that generates UBTI, you have been notified by mail that you no longer will be able to invest in that or other UBTI-generating securities. You will have until December 14, 2018, to liquidate any UBTI-generating securities and transfer the proceeds to another investment in your Schwab PCRA or to the core funds in the Plan. If no action is taken, JetBlue will liquidate any of these remaining securities on your behalf.
Q:Where can I find fund facts and prospectuses?
A Visit blueretirement.com, click your Plan account, and select Investment lineup under INVESTMENTS. Click Download or View for each available Investment Overview (fact sheet) or Online Prospectus.
Loans and hardship withdrawals
Q:What types of loans are available?
A A general purpose loan may have a term from 1-60 months. A principal residence loan may have a term from 61-360 months.
Q: Who’s eligible for a loan?
ALoans are available to Crewmembers who are active or on an approved leave of absence.
Q: How do I request a loan?
A Crewmembers are allowed to have one loan outstanding at any time. Loans can be requested online, over the phone with an associate or with a paper form. All Principal Residence Loan requests must be submitted with a paper request accompanied by a copy of the signed buyer’s and seller’s agreement. Loans are available to participants who are active or on an approved leave of absence.
Q: Is there a minimum or maximum amount I am able to request?
AThe minimum loan amount that a participant may request is $1,000. The maximum loan amount that a participant may request is $50,000 or 50% of the vested account balance, whichever is less. The $50,000 maximum loan amount is reduced by the highest loan balance during the past twelve months.
Q: Is there a waiting period to take out a new loan after existing loan is paid off?
A There is a 10-day waiting period to request a new loan after a participant pays off their loan.
Q: Are there any fees associated with taking a loan at Empower?
A There is a loan origination fee in the amount of $50 after the loan is approved—as well as a loan maintenance fee that will be assessed for active loans on the last day of each quarter and will be charged at the rate of $6.25 in the following month.
Q:Will I be able to make loan payments by ACH?
AYes, this is a feature offered within your Plan that allows you to continue making payments on your loan after separation from employment or transfer between the United States and Puerto Rico Plans.
Q:How do I request a hardship withdrawal?
AA hardship withdrawal can be requested by submitting a hardship application with the required supporting documentation for at least one of the six following reasons.
- Medical expenses for you, your spouse or one of your dependents.
- The purchase of a principal residence.
- The prevention of eviction or foreclosure.
- Qualified secondary education expenses for Crewmembers.
- Burial or funeral expenses for dependents.
- Repair of your principal residence that would qualify for the casualty deduction as defined in IRC § 165 (if permitted).
If you elect to take a distribution subject to the above terms, you will not be permitted to elect to have JetBlue make elective deferral contributions or Roth 401(k) contributions from your eligible compensation on your behalf for six months following the date of distribution.
Q:Will Empower process my required minimum distribution at the end of the year?
A Yes, the annual required minimum distribution (RMD) amount will be withdrawn from your account and sent to you in a check via the U.S. Postal Service each year. Or you can set up an automatic RMD via ACH with your bank account.
To set up ACH on a new or additional bank account, visit blueretirement.com and follow these steps:
- Click your Plan account.
- Select Manage Bank Accounts under ACCOUNT INFORMATION.
- Click Add a Bank Account, enter the required information, and click Continue.
- On the next screen, review your information and the ACH Authorization Agreement and then click Confirm and Continue. An authorization period will begin to validate the newly added bank account. Once your bank account has been validated, you may request to have distributions directed to that account.
Q:How can I get in touch with Empower?
A Empower has a team of dedicated associates who are available to help you along your journey to and through retirement. You can:
- Call 1-844-728-3258 between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday to speak directly with an Empower associate. The automated phone line is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Visit blueretirement.com to instant message with an associate between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
Q:What tools are available online?
A The Empower online experience lets you:
- Easily see how saving more may affect your outcome and make changes to your contribution with a single click.
- Quickly view the percentage of income you’re projected to replace in retirement.
- See how your savings compare with that of other participants in your age group and salary range.
- Access online education articles and calculators to help you sharpen your focus on your financial well-being.
Q:Does Empower have an app?
AYes. Access the iTunes store for the Empower app for your iPhone or Apple Watch. Blueretirement.com is also mobile-friendly and can be used from any mobile device.